I recall a conversation I once had with a client who wanted some treatment for her headaches.
Me: ‘How often do you experience headaches?’
Client: ‘Oh, the normal amount.’
Intrigued, I asked ‘How often is a normal amount?’
Client: ‘Every day.’
That’s NOT NORMAL!
Over a series of 6 sessions, we reduced her daily headaches to zero and she learnt some tips and techniques she could use when work was stressful to ensure she did not revert back to her previous state.
There are a number of triggers that can cause headaches. According to the NHS (2021) , the most common reasons are:
- having a cold or flu
- drinking too much alcohol
- bad posture
- eyesight problems
- not eating regular meals
- not drinking enough fluids (dehydration)
- taking too many painkillers
- having your period or during menopause
If you are experiencing headaches regularly look after yourself:
- check you are keeping hydrated,
- if you are working at a desk, have you got the screen set up correctly for you,
- check if you need glasses,
- try some simple self-care such as that shown in this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZU_DS9A0VY
and finally, to really help ease the muscle tension that can contribute to headaches…Book a Massage!
NHS (2021). Headaches. Website: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/headaches/. Accessed August 2023.